Boxers are a medium sized, muscular dog with plenty of energy! Because of this, it’s important to feed them the right type of dog food to keep them happy and healthy. While feeding your Boxer any old dog food will work, you will find that a high-quality brand will make a world of difference for your Boxer. Not only will your Boxer be healthier, but you will notice their entire personality change. Naturally, Boxers are a happy and fun-loving breed, but a lack of proper nutrition can dampen a Boxer’s spirit. So today, we’ll evaluate the best dog foods on the market and help you nail your Boxer dog’s nutrition!
Why You Need To Prioritize Boxer Dog Nutrition
At the end of the day, your Boxer’s nutrition is going to be the most important factor in your relationship. Remember, a healthy Boxer is a happy Boxer, and the best way to keep your Boxer healthy is to feed them right. According to the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, a nutrient-dense diet will:
- Boost your Boxer’s mood. A lack of nutrients is linked with canine depression, which can be a serious issue. Without proper nutrition, your Boxer’s brain may not function properly. This will affect the production of important chemicals, such as serotonin and dopamine.
- Prevent future health problems. While there are many short-term benefits of switching your Boxer’s dog food, the long-term benefits are even greater. As your Boxer ages, they are at risk for numerous health issues. Feeding your Boxer the right foods, however, can help to prevent certain diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and obesity.
- Increase your Boxer’s energy. Boxers are a muscular dog breed that require high-protein levels to keep them going. Each of the dog food brands above have added protein for this purpose. Without protein, Boxers will start to lose their muscle density, and this will decrease their ability to run and play.
Boxers: Adults vs. Puppies
Depending on the age of your Boxer, their nutritional needs will change. It is important to be able to adapt as your Boxer ages. In addition, the way you look at each stage of your Boxer’s life will be important to how you feed them. At the end of the day, the most important thing about Boxer dog nutrition is research. Once you know what your Boxer needs, you will be able to make better decisions about their health. For more general information about Boxers, check out our article on Boxer dog breed info.
Boxer Puppy Nutrition
Your Boxer’s nutritional needs are going to be most important while they are puppies. At this point, they are building their body to last the rest of their life. So, it is vital that you give your Boxer what they need to thrive. Not only will this improve the quality of your Boxer’s life (As mentioned above), it is also the single biggest factor that influencing lifespan.
Boxer’s especially must build a solid base of bone and muscle before they reach adulthood. Unfortunately, most big-brand dog foods do not provide the essential nutrients used in bone and muscle growth. While protein is the biggest one, phosphorous and calcium are also overlooked by big-brand dog food. For smaller breeds, this isn’t an issue. For a Boxer, however, it can have a devastating affect on the quality of the rest of their lives.
Boxer Adult Nutrition
As your Boxer reaches adulthood, nutrition plays the biggest role in their happiness. Once your Boxer reaches adulthood (2 years old), you will be more focused on maintaining their health than building it. While your Boxer will be done growing, this does not mean that they don’t still require these nutrients.
Many owners fall into a trap where they feed their puppies high-quality food, but stop doing so in adulthood. On some level, this makes sense. Because your Boxer is no longer developing, it’s easy to assume they don’t need as much attention to their diet, which is far from true. After adulthood, your Boxer will be more susceptible to sickness and disease. Proper nutrition is the best way to boost your Boxer’s immune system and keep their organs functioning properly.
Senior Boxer Dog Nutrition
At 7 – 8 years old, your Boxer is considered a senior dog. At this point, their health is pretty much set. Remember, the puppy and adult phases of your Boxer’s life will set the base for their health. Once they are seniors, it is unlikely that you will dramatically improve their health. There are, however, many benefits to feeding senior Boxers a high-quality diet.
As your Boxer ages, they will start to get weaker and have lower energy levels. This is not necessarily a bad thing – It’s just what happens with age. Proper nutrition will keep your Boxer spunky and energetic even in old age. In addition, Boxers are most susceptible to certain cancers and heart disease in old age. Because of this, a nutrient-rich diet becomes vital in helping your Boxer fight off these diseases.
Royal Canin is specifically tailored for Boxer dog nutrition. Because of this, it covers the gaps in nutrition that many other dog food brands can miss, especially the generic or big-name brands. Buying dog food made specifically for Boxers is the best way to ensure your dog will get the most out of their food. Royal Canin has many positive qualities, including:
- A high-protein blend. Boxers are a muscular and active dog breed, so protein is a must for them. Without protein, Boxers will not be able to maintain their muscle mass, which can result in a lack of energy.
- Specially designed kibble shape & size. Boxers have an iconic underbite, which can make it difficult for them to eat certain brands of dog food. Royal canin has been designed for easy eating. In general, Boxers do not have trouble eating this kibble.
- A mixture of wet & dry food. Both wet and dry food have unique benefits. Royal canin makes it easy, and combines a mix of both to provide your Boxer with box benefits, such as easy digestion and added hydration.
- Added vitamins and anti-oxidents to improve digestion, celluar health, and nutrient uptake.
Eukanuba Breed Specific Boxer Mix
Just like Royal Canin, Eukanuba’s formula specifically fills the nutritional needs of your Boxer dog. With a diverse source a nutrients, this dog food will give your Boxer 100% of what they need to be healthy. Eukanuba also goes one step further, and helps your Boxer in ways other brands simply cannot compete with!
- Has added DHA and Vitamin E. Both of these nutrients help your Boxer’s brain to stay healthy and sharp.
- Eukanuba has a high amount of protein with an ideal blend of fats and carbohydrates. This is to help lean muscle development in active, large breed dogs.
- Gets its high-protein from chicken, which is their first ingredient. A high quality animal protein is vital for Boxers. Eukanuba only sources quality meat in the products they provide!
Hill’s Science is always a favorite on this site — And for good reason! They are the number one veterinarian-recommended brand out there. While other dog food brands might be better if your dog has specific needs, Hill’s is going to be your best bet if you’re unsure of what’s best for your Boxer. Hill’s has many unique qualities, including:
- A specially formulated recipe that helps fuel the energy needs of your Boxer. Some dog food brands can leave your Boxer bloated and fatigued. Hill’s recipe, however, allows for better uptake of nutrients to fuel your Boxer.
- Has added omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin E. Both of these nutrients promote a shinier, healthier coat, and can also help promote regular brain functions.
- Also contains glucosomine and chondrotin to help promote healthy knees and joints, which is especially important for older dogs.
Nulo Grain-Free Boxer Dog Food
Nulo promotes a diverse range of nutrients to help your Boxer live a happy and healthy life. With numerous added vitamins, minerals, and protein, you can be sure there are not any gaps in your Boxer dog’s nutrition. Specifically, Nulo offers:
- A 100% natural, grain-free recipe. Nulo offers a salmon, turkey, or lamb variety, all of which are a lean protein source for your Boxer.
- Easy digestion. This dog food leaves out many ingredients that dogs have a hard time digesting, such as eggs, chicken, and fake additives and colors
- A protein rich, low-carb diet. Nulo has also added the probiotic BC30, which helps your Boxer absorb nutrients.
- Promotes a healthy coat and skin with added omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Mastering Your Boxer’s Nutrition
At the end of the day, prioritizing your Boxer’s nutrition is mostly about consistency. Just like with humans, a healthy life is a long-term commitment. You will not find any shortcuts. Because of this, you must start feeding your Boxer a nutrient-rich diet as soon as possible. Not only does this have incredible effects on their mood (And thus your relationship with your Boxer), but also their health and ability to fight disease.
Remember, it is easier to prevent a problem than it is to fix one. What that means is that you are better off making the switch to a high-quality dog food as soon as possible, even if your Boxer seems happy and healthy now. By the time you notice your Boxer is suffering from a lack of nutrition, the damage will already be done. Regardless of your Boxer dog’s age, a high nutrient diet may completely change their quality of life!